Friday, December 27, 2013

Dolls house

I've been working on this dolls house for a long time and it's nice to finally see it being played with!


I bought the house renovated and furnished for $59 from eBay. The woman I bought it from had done a great job painting the outside and collecting furniture for each room, but I had plans to renovate further, and some of the furniture was in quite a different scale to everything else. 
I painted the inside white and wallpapered each room. I also made some pieces of furniture, and painted a lot of what came with the house. 

Here's a quick walkthrough, starting from the top:


The kids bedroom. The baby furniture came with the house and was pretty new so I didn't do anything with it. The beds I made from balsa wood (painted with leftover house paint), with cardboard and batting mattresses. I made little patchwork quilts and pillows for the beds. The rug is a coaster I crocheted but never got around to crocheting more...


A pretty basic kitchen and dining table. I added the felt rug as the room was looking a little too white. 


Probably my favourite room. I made the lounges using cardboard, quilt batting and fabric, using dimensions from a lounge at home (I went with 1:15 scale so it wouldn't look out of place with 1:12 furniture/people or 1:18 - like Lundby and Sylvanian Families). 

I made the coffee table from balsa wood and the lamp using the bottle Hoyts brand if Saffron comes in. I also crocheted the cushion to match one in our living room, and painted the bookshelf. 


Parents' bedroom, featuring another balsa bed and a double sided quilt. 


And finally the bathroom, with freshly painted furniture that came with the house. 

I'd love to add more miniatures, but with a two year old I know that whatever is not broken or lost I will constantly have to put back in place, so I'll save it for another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment